Cavalla CyberWardroom Forum Index Cavalla CyberWardroom
Bulletin Boards for USS Cavalla

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ron Smith passed away

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cavalla CyberWardroom Forum Index -> USS Cavalla Volunteers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Neal Stevens
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:44 pm    Post subject: Ron Smith passed away Reply with quote

Quote:
From Ron's Son

Dear Friends;

This is Scott Smith, Ron's youngest son, emailing you the news of Ron's passing. I know you may have already heard, but this group was such a big part of his life I wanted to honor you with some direct communication.

Ron passed away peacefully this morning at 06:10 at Hospice Austin's Christopher House. His wife, Georgianna, was at his side. He had been battling for some time with metastases from his kidney cancer. We were blessed to have wonderful care at Hospice.

We will hold a brief memorial service this Sunday, September 12, 2008 at 1:30 pm in Austin at Harrell Funeral Home, 4435 Frontier Trail. Ron will be cremated this week and we hope to work through paperwork to have him interred at Arlington.

Although the trip was difficult for him, his time at the SubVets convention last week was absolutely worthwhile. So many times earlier this week he said how wonderful the trip was (except for the damned over-spiced food). Thank you for making that a special time for him.

In lieu of flowers, his family asks that you consider donations to either the SubVets Inc Scholarship fund (I was a grateful recipient of the WWII subvets fund) or the Hospice Austin.

If you'd like to contact either of us, I've copied myself (scott@hunicke.org) and my mom (geosmith28@austin.rr.com) above.

My dad had a long, full, and colorful life. But I think his service comrades were his true family. Thank you for keeping him going.

In Warshot's spirit 'That is all and close the hatch.'

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cavalla CyberWardroom Forum Index -> USS Cavalla Volunteers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: