Cavalla CyberWardroom Forum Index Cavalla CyberWardroom
Bulletin Boards for USS Cavalla

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Work weekend 21, 22, and 23 March

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cavalla CyberWardroom Forum Index -> USS Cavalla Volunteers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cavalla COB
Restoration Manager

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:14 am    Post subject: Work weekend 21, 22, and 23 March Reply with quote

Over the past several months we have had numerous e-mails and phone calls from interested parties concerning volunteering to get the ships back in condition so they can be opened to the public. Because of the infrastructure damage and the lack of power on either ship, this has not been possible. However, now we have power and access to both vessels and now is the time to start the process.

For any one that is interested, we will have our first full work weekend this coming weekend and there is a lot of work that needs to be done so we can open and start making some money, and hopefully in the very near future start the sleep over program again.

We can use all the help we can get, so come on down and lets get 'er done:)

Later Shipmates and friends
John
Mike Pullen

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be arriving around noon Friday. Once I get things moved into the trailer and the dogs settled in, I'll be ready to go.

I'm bringing a megger from work to check out the DC cabling from the after battery to the switchboard in Maneuvering. I need to open up all the DC distribution switches and lock them in the disconnected position. Once we get the 250VDC power supply built in the After Battery, I'll connect it to the emergency lighting circuit and also to the switchboard. From there, I'll power up the panels up to the Forward Engineroom, where the lathe is located. If possible, I'll also check the DC switchboard in Control and the tie switch to the after switchboard. If there are DC loads forward that John wants to energize, power will be available.

I also want to check every 120 VAC panel and clearly mark those that are energized from the transformer in the ATR. I want to mark the energized panels with red paint or some other means so that folks will know what is energized.

I also want to dismantle/clean/lubricate the control benchboard and get all the levers working. Future plans are to install plexiglass viewing windows on the enclosure, so that folks can see the complexity of contactors and controls for the generators and motors.

I also want to remove all the controls and instruments for generator #2, to accurately reflect the conversion to SSK.

John's priority is to get the water-tight doors cleaned up and presentable, so my electrical work depends on if there are enough people to handle that work.

BTW, I interviewed a potential new hire today. He's a nuke electrician living about 1 mile south of me here in Pearland. He didn't know there was a SUBVET organization in the area. I educated him and gave him my extra copy of the American Submariner. He has toured Cavalla before and is interested in helping. We may get a new worker.

Since no one has indicated that they desire to stay overnight in my trailer, I'm not bringing alot of food. If you change your mind, bring supplies.
Al Lansdowne

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:42 pm    Post subject: Generator 2 meters etc Reply with quote

Mike-- If you want to be historically correct and accurately reflect the conversion, DO NOT remove the generator 2 meters etc. They are tied to the generator 1 meters. The generator 2 lever was converted to a cross-tie so that by closing the cross-tie and linking the generator 1 and 2 field controls with the mechanical linkages (the twist handles under the meters) generator 1 can be controlled from the port side. That way when number 2 generator is out of commission or otherwise not available, number 1, which normally supplies the stbd motors, can supply the port motors and be controlled from the port side, while number 3 supplies the stbd motors as usual. Number 1 effectively becomes number 2. This was critical for maneuvering.

I also noted that the stbd nameplates at the top of the meter board are misplaced. The inboard meters should be marked #1 and the outboard #3. I think someone switched the tags around. I don't remember how the meters on the port side were marked, but the inboard ones are for generator #1 rather than #3 as original. Also, I remember that someone slapped a voltmeter in place of an ammeter (or maybe vice versa) on the port side. I guess they figured the hole should be filled up and no one would notice.
Mike Pullen

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Al. I was wondering what the cross-tie lever was for.

I tried to disconnect the levers from the interlocking assembly, but couldn't get the cotterpins out. Next time I'll use a small grinder and a drift-pin punch to drive the pins out. Once I get all the levers free from the interlock assembly, I can pull it out, dismantle it, and clean and lubricate. It would be nice to find a manual that describes the assembly, because the NAVSHIPS manual is really generic, just showing the shape and function of each bar.

I was able to partially free-up some of the port levers , but either there is a lot of corrosion or the electricians operating the board were knuckle-dragging apes.

I've checked out all the DC panels, meggering the line and loads. There is a ground in the galley panel (probably the oven) and the LP blower is grounded. I've pulled all the fuses in the main feeders, so that I can do a controlled energization once the power supply is ready. I also opened the tie switch in control. The class drawings show a second tie switch in Maneuvering, but I haven't found it yet, so I'll need to see the drawings that John has.

John needs to obtain insulated fuse pullers. I had to use a crowbar or hand to pull the fuses. Talk about overriding an electricians basic instincts.
Al Lansdowne

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:01 pm    Post subject: Buss tie, fuse pullers Reply with quote

As I remember it the buss tie in maneuvering was converted to something else. My memory is fuzzy, though, so take that with a grain of salt.

I remember (a long time ago) seeing a pair of large fuse pullers on the Stewart. You're right-- using a crowbar sort of goes against all EM instincts Rolling Eyes

What will it take to get you to call the cubicle the cubicle? Laughing I served on three diesel boats and I NEVER heard it called anything else.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cavalla CyberWardroom Forum Index -> USS Cavalla Volunteers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: